(952) 927-4600 St. Louis Park, MN


Frequently Asked Questions

Click on any of the questions listed here to toggle open the answer. If you don’t see what you are looking for here, please call us at 952-927-4600 or send us an email.

What is an Independent Insurance Agent?

An Independent Insurance Agent works with many companies and therefore is able to locate the best coverage at the most competitive rate without being subject to one company’s coverage or rates.

How will a young driver affect my rates?

A youthful driver is always going to be more expensive to insure than someone who has had years of experience behind the wheel. It is also more expensive when your young driver has his/her own vehicle. Of course, any ticket and/or accident will also influence the rate. An agent at Hatzung Insurance would be happy to sit down with you and your young driver. Talking about this often overwhelming and frightening move to more independence, especially with someone other than their parents can have quite an impact on a teens driving experience. We would encourage you to consider this.

When I rent a car, do I need to purchase the Rental Companies insurance?

The answer is no, but there are some prerequisites involved. The Liability section of your auto insurance policy will cover the damage you do to a rental vehicle including the “Loss of Use” or the time the rental car company is without it’s vehicle. You MUST make sure that your liability limits are sufficient to cover the damage. Please contact your agent to make sure these limits are adequate. NOTE: When renting an RV or camper, you must check with your agent to see if your specific policy covers the rental of an RV. Most policies WILL NOT COVER the damage you do to a rented RV. NOTE: This coverage does not follow you when you are out of the country.

What credits/discounts are available to me?

There are many discounts available on all insurance policies. Auto and Home insurers give substantial discounts (up to 15%) for having both your auto and home insured with the same company. Other discounts include the “Loss Free Discount”, “Prime of Life” or 55 and older discount, “Good Student” (3.0 or better) discount, “New Home” or newly renovated home discount. With the exception of such discounts as the Good Student and 55 Alive, most are added automatically.

Why do insurance companies check credit?

This is the million dollar question, one of which comes with much scrutiny. Insurance companies have found a strong correlation between your credit score and the probability of you having an insurance claim. In fact, some companies have a few credit tiers to which an insured fits into and others have up to 450 different credit tiers! The fact is, when shopping for insurance these days; your credit plays one of the most important roles in determining your premium.

Should I purchase Identity Theft Coverage on my homeowner’s insurance policy?

The answer to this question is a big YES! Many companies offer identity theft coverage as an included or optional coverage on their homeowners policies. The coverage is designed to return your credit standing to where it was prior to the loss. The coverage limits vary, usually covering the loss up to $20-$25,000. When you consider the cost of buying this coverage through your credit card companies at $12 a month, this is a very good coverage to have at an even better price.