Homeowners' insurance plays an important role in society. It protects your most valuable financial asset, your home. When most people think of damage to their homes, they tend to think of fire or theft. Many other kinds of accidents may cause damage to your home that is covered under most homeowner’s insurance policies. Remember each homeowner’s insurance policy is different, and if you bought your homeowners insurance online, you might not have proper coverage. Claims will be paid based on your individual homeowner’s policy terms and conditions.
Homeowners insurance claims
- A homeowner accidentally spilled bleach on her carpet while carrying in the groceries. Insurance covered the replacement of the carpet.
- A Christmas tree stand leaked water onto the homeowner’s hardwood floors. The homeowners did not realize the stand had leaked until they removed the tree skirt. The insurance company paid to repair the damage.
- Lightning struck a water pump causing the pump to leak. The entire bottom floor of the insured’s home was flooded, resulting in $52,000 in property damage.
- A son was cutting down a tree on his parent’s property. A limb from the tree fell on a visiting neighbor and $3,000 in medical bills was paid by the insurer.
- A homeowner awoke to a bang, to find an airplane part had fallen through his roof. The insurer covered the claim. No airline admitted liability.
- A homeowner left his gas grill on by mistake. The grill was on a deck and close to the home; a fire caused $24,000 damage to the deck and home.
- A homeowner had some expensive lighting on the walkway of his house. The lanterns were original and hard to replace, but one of them was damaged in a storm. Because the homeowner was unable to purchase a match, the insurance company paid to replace both lanterns.
Many homeowners don't fully understand what their home insurance policy covers and excludes. For example, according to a 2018 survey from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, more than 37 percent of people who have homeowner’s insurance mistakenly believe flood damage is covered by a standard homeowner’s policy, To avoid making costly assumptions, it pays to know what's included in your policy. We are here to help answer all your insurance questions.