Medicare is a federal health insurance program for people age 65 and older, people of any age with permanent kidney failure, and certain disabled people under age 65. Medicare is managed by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). This article summarizes Medicare covered services.
Medicare allows you to choose the way you receive your benefits. Newly eligible seniors who are drawing Social Security benefits are enrolled automatically in the Original Medicare Plan, which is the traditional payment-per-service arrangement. If you want to stay with the Original Medicare Plan, you don't have to do anything. The basic benefits of this plan are described below.
Your copy of Medicare & You will explain the Original Medicare Plan and other Medicare health plans in detail. It also will explain how to enroll in other health plan options, if you are interested. If you don't have a computer, your local public library or senior center may be able to help you find this information.
Medicare Part B pays 80 percent of approved charges for most covered services. You are responsible for paying a $183 deductible per the calendar year and the remaining 20 percent of the Medicare approved charge. You will have to pay limited additional charges if the doctor who cares for you does not accept assignment. This means the doctor does not agree to accept the Medicare approved charge for services.